Friday, August 3, 2012

August 2, 2012 · 9:14 pm ↓ Jump to CommentsFeeling Your Way into Computing and Math


To follow up on my blog entry about qualitative research as a form of quantification, I point you to this interesting piece by my friend and colleague Sarah Kuhn.  Sarah blogs at Thinking With Things, and she just posted an interesting piece on her blog.  I think her ideas about mathematics, quantification, embodiment, and textiles is an important item to consider.  I was a member of her UMass Lowell "Thinking With Things" scholarly group for several years, and it is a strong factor in my thinking now. 


I’m still obsessed with the many, many layers of meaning that I see in crocheted hyperbolic planes. Math (and recovery from math anxiety), systems theory, gender, materials, comfort, tangibles, emotion…the list goes on. I gave a “Flash Talk” (20 slides in 5 minutes) entitled “Feeling Your Way into Computing and Math” at the National Center for Women in Information Technology’s (NCWIT) annual Summit in Chicago in May. I had a great time, and got lots of positive feedback afterward. I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions! What do YOU see?

http://thinkingwiththings.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/feeling-your-way-into-computing-and-math/



No comments: