Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Journal Project meets Felter's Fling or Qualiative Research goes sheep!

I have spent the last several days outside of North Hampton Mass in the company of a whole crew of Felter's. Chad Hagen was my first instructor and I learned much as about dye resist and book binding. Today is our switch day and I had the opportunity to share my Journal Project with members of the group. These are the same works I brought to the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry.

Wow! What an experience. I had an hour for my exhibit: 9-10 am. I laid my materials out near the wood working room, on the lawn and picnic tables. A very green background for the works. people rambled out to look in ones and twos. I was glad I could talk as they made their way around. over the hour the sun moved across the sky uncovering the works in another way. Woven Piece I hung on a tree. I really liked seeing it against a massive swath of bark.

The response was extremely satisfying. Everyone seemed to have enough experience with something scientific that they got the irony of the art and computer split. The poster of the Nvivo screen shots was of interest and the idea of analyzing journal material with these tools. this being an artistic group, many said they felt more comfortable drawing their thoughts than writing.

I got a great suggestion for a book I will look for: The Alphabet and the Goddess. It's about imagery vs words. I look forward to it.

It's been a full circle for me now. I have shown this work to artists (Contemporary Practice class). Then to social scientists (ICQI). And now to Felter's...so what have I learned? basically everyone has responded with intensity to the themes. It gives them relief or release. It does. What art should do. it evokes a response, and the response is to many parts of the message and the materials.

So I now prepare to throw myself back into the fray with Erma Yost's workshop--more surface design. Live long and felt!

They seemed to like the fact that I was trying to work thematically. Many people responded to the emotional content.

A couple spoke to me about pressing forward and sharing the exhibit more widely

No comments: